Thursday, July 26, 2007

My Sacred Heart Diet Journal, Day 1

My husband and I are doing the SHD diet, Sacred Heart, aka Cabbage Soup or Mayo Clinic diet. I've blogged and written about this diet many times but am finally doing it. I don't have a real weight loss need but am looking forward to maybe 5lbs and detox benefits. my husband is getting fit and doesn't need to lose weight at all but wants to detox. He wanted to do this ages ago but works out and was worried about lack of energy from the reduced diet and lack of protein. He's taking a break this week between workout schedule changes to it's a perfect time. We started today because next weekend is a long weekend and we have guests coming. It's a good idea to do it this week as well because our kids are going away with their grandparents the day after tomorrow for a week so we only have to worry about ourselves for cooking after the weekend.

My starting weight: 136lbs
Husband: 153.

Today's diet: all the sacred heart soup and fruit we can eat.
Here's what I put in the soup:

2 cans tomatoes
1 can chicken broth
4 cups green tea
a few handfuls of chopped carrots
several torn leaves of cabbage
4 stalks celery
1 envelope lipton soup (chicken noodle)
1/2 chopped green pepper
2 chopped green onions
spices: cracked pepper, salt, mrs. dash, worcestershire sauce

I've stocked up on canteloupse, strawberries, blueberries, grapes, apples, some dole fruit salad and a pineapple although can't imagine eating all that today.

Tonight we'll go to the grocery store to buy vegetables for tomorrow as we'll be eating soup & vegetables all day tomorrow.
The soup tastes fine. It's almost exactly like a soup my mother made weekly for us as kids although hers had lots of macaroni in it (she called it macaroni soup)and a few less tomatoes and vegetables.

I'll be back sometime tomorrow to talk about my day 2.
Cheers,
Dana

No comments: